
When I saw that Laurel Wreath had a New Year's Meditation we could participate in, at first I wasn't sure what to write. I have many so-called resolutions which I would want to see acomplished in this new year. But I also had something a little deeper, burning within me that I couldn't explain or articulate- even to myself. But then I started writing. The following are the prayerful thoughts from my own heart, written almost as if I were writing in a private journal. I'm sharing these because maybe a few of you can identify.
There are so many dreams buried deep within my heart. My heart, which is much younger than my actual years. And sometimes, I'm confused as to why I have such longings, when I have been given so much.
When I was a young, single woman, I had longings of a specific kind. My heart's desire was to find my one true love waiting somewhere out there...to be married...and then to have children. When I reached that ominous age of 30, and it still had not happened, it was quite easy for me to fear that it would just never would...time was slipping away. It scared me.
Yes, for some, being single can be a fulfilling life, blessed by God.
But I knew it was not the life I desired.
Yet... about that time, God did, indeed, answer my prayer and graciously sent me someone whom I would love and become my husband. And if that wasn't enough, I also now have two precious, little girls that call me Mommy.
Sometimes I am, indeed, so very thankful and overwhelmed with gratitude because of these wonderful answers to prayer.
Yet...sometimes I still find myself feeling longings that I can't quite explain. Shouldn't I simply be constantly thankful all of the time with all He has given me?
Yes, the Word says that I should be thankful at all times...so then the guilt and is added into the mix of emotions I sometimes feel.
But as this New Year dawns, I am also aware of a deep desire growing within me...a desire to grow closer to Him than ever before. And suddenly, it is all beginning to make sense.
Because, as wonderful as the gifts He gives to his children are, The Giver is even more wonderful. Nothing can compare.
So, maybe it hasn't been ingratitude all along that has caused these feelings deep within me so much as simply- and profoundly- the Lord gently beckoning me to draw closer...and my own restless heart yearning to respond.
When I attended Evie's Christmas concert recently, she sang a song from the point of view of a woman putting out her Nativity display. In this song, she thought she heard a simple little song coming from the shepherd figure, which she had placed towards the outside of the manger. He sang, "Move me closer...closer..." to the One who loves us most.
This year, it is my sincere heart's desire to draw even closer to the Lover of my soul than ever before.
Perhaps it is yours, as well. If so, I believe God will meet us where we are, if we just ask Him.
"O God, You are my God, earnestly will I seek You; my soul thirst for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water" ~Psalm 63:1








21 comments:
Tammy this is beautiful. I hear the same thing "come closer" "be with me" "give me your heart and dreams" I am faithful.
And boy is HE, he has proved that time and time again in my life.
Happy New Year.
Blessings.
This was beautiful Tammy. And it seemed to come right from your heart of hearts.
Happy new year to you and your family.
So beautiful and so gentle. Thank you for sharing such personal thoughts and desires. This was just wonderful!
Hi there.
I just happened upon your blog surfing the web... Just wanted to say that your new year's thought echoed in my heart, too. Isn't it great how He just gives us a little "kisses" like this by stumbling on jewels like your blog! I feel truly blessed.
May your journey in 2007 be filled with the wonder of who He is!
mother of 2 boys, GL, bookworm, and a homeschool mom in Victoria, BC
I too have felt that tug, & so often I find myself asking the Lord to help me become the woman He created me to be. I so want to be a Godly example to my two little grandchildren, & so miss being around all of you as I was Christmas.
ruth
Amen! Lovely post!
Lisa
(aka Mama Heffalump)
I want to mirror His plans for me this year...to love fully.
What a wonderful illustration from Evie's song. I pray that this desire of yours will be met this year! Happy New Year.
Yes...I want to draw closer. Blessings and thank you for sharing.
Beautiful, Tammy. Thanks for sharing. I too, know that feeling of restlessness that comes from needing to be closer to Him. It changes my whole perspective when I stop and listen.
As I told Laurel, I need to sit down and think about mine. I Haven't done that yet!
I can relate to this on so many levels.
Thanks for your sweet comments!!! :)
Your post reminded me of the verse in Ecclesiastes that talks about God setting eternity in the hearts of men...He planted something in us that drives us to pursue eternity, something bigger than us, HIM. Along the way I know that I have tried to satisfy that desire with so many things and so many people in one way or another. But Christ is the only perfect fit...anyway I don't know if that makes sense or not but I really enjoyed your post and the train of thought it led me to!! :)
i can relate to it somehow. that was beautiful, tammy. happy new year! =)
Tammy, thanks so much for sharing your heart and the lesson God has taught you this season. Isn't it amazing how Laurel's obedience to follow through with the New Year's Meditation is being used by God to draw us all closer to him and take our eyes off ourselves. Praise the Lord for how He is using each of us to see His face more clearly! Blessing on you!
Elisa
www.laundry-alternative.net
Thanks for checking in with me. He did really well with his dental work. Plus, they didn't have to do any crowns or extractions, which was great. Thanks for your prayers!
Very honest and revealing. I LOVE the story about the shepherd in the Nativity scene saying "move me closer." What a fantastic object lesson. I'll treasure those lines!
Tammy,
This was such a heartfelt post. You have such a gift for putting your feelings into words that so many of us can relate to.
Happy 2007!
Hi Tammy, I think this is such a beautiful post. Your heart is so open and loving. It is wonderful that the Lord has given you the desires of your heart - and wonderful that He has caused your heart to desire more of Him. As you draw near to Him - He will draw near to you. I think that is what we all truly want.
Oh Tammy, you had my heart swell with this one! I just loved your simple and sweet desire to grow closer to dear Lord, me too. To imagine the sheppard's song expressing his desire to to be moved closer...so precious, and so captivating! *sigh*
I am so happy that in waiting, you found your soul mate and were blessed with two beautiful little girls! :)
Moving closer to God seems to be a goal for about half of bloggityville right now. I can't think of a better goal. And accomplishing this one goal will cover any others you might have, too.
Post a Comment