Monday, February 12, 2007

First Valentines...




To the two special men in my life...past and present...



I received my very first Valentine right on my very first Valentine's Day...
It was from my daddy. He had enclosed a letter to me, that years later I would read and re-read.
Sadly, somehow, this precious letter was lost.
But I still have the card...somewhere in one of my boxes of keepsakes, where I need to comb through, retreive- and place it in it's rightful place of honor.


My Dad was a far from perfect man...but he also had some wonderful qualities such as tenderness, compassion towards others and was fiercely protective of his family. He also loved God, and went home to be with Him almost 19 years ago.

I miss him... a lot. He was my very first Valentine.

Now, I watch my own girls adore their own daddy. If you saw this picture, you may already know that my four year old plans on marrying him when she grows up. But her plans will probably change. She will most likely fall in love someday and walk down the isle with another man- hopefully someone who loves God and cherishes her.

But just like a generation before, their daddy is the first man in their life...and they are blessed with someone with so many wonderful qualities...someone who takes time to be with them, encourage them, and teach them.

Most of all, to simply love them.


And there's just always that special place in our hearts for our very first
Valentine.


Happy
Valentine's Day!

27 comments:

Cyndi said...

Oh Tammy, I have tears in my eyes after reading this post. Your words about your father are so precious, and that little picture your daughter drew is absolutely priceless. I loved this post!

Pamela said...

Beautiful! Oh, so true. Little girls tend to put their Daddy's up on a pedestal! Their Daddy's are indeed the first men in their lives and it is such a blessing to count on that unconditional love!

Love the pictures Tammy! So glad you have that cherished first Valentine that your Dad gave you!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Beautiful!

I wish all Daddies knew what importance they hold in their daughter's lives. They show them how they should be treated by their future husband- whether good or bad, this is what girls see as "what they deserve."
It is obvious that your girls have a wonderful valentine! :>)

Dawn said...

Lovely post. Valentine's Day has always gotten lost in Kevin's birthday celebration since he came along - and especially this year!

Thanks for the sweet comment on his birthday celebration post!

someone else said...

Tammy, this was just precious! What wonderful memories.

I have a mug that I gave Daddy one year for Christmas after I was an adult. It says "To my Daddy, the first man I ever loved." I brought it home with me after he died 4 years ago and I so love to drink coffee from it.

What a lovely post to read.

Georgiana Daniels said...

What a wonderful way to honor Valentine's Day! I wish every father knew that how he treats his daughter will influence her view of life and men forever. That's great that you have your valentine from your dad, and that you have your current valentine who loves your kids!

ruth said...

I love that picture of your dad holding you. He was really my first Valentine, because I never really felt loved by my dad. It wasn't until years later that I knew he loved me, as much as he was capable of since he also grew up feeling unloved. I'm so happy that you found that someone special & I know your dad would have loved him as I do.

ruth said...

I love that picture of your dad holding you. He was really my first Valentine, because I never really felt loved by my dad. It wasn't until years later that I knew he loved me, as much as he was capable of since he also grew up feeling unloved. I'm so happy that you found that someone special & I know your dad would have loved him as I do.

Susie said...

Such a touching post! How precious that you still have that cherished first valentine your Dad sent you.
I'm sure he's smiling down at the lovely wife and mother you've become!
((hugs))

Carole Burant said...

Oh Tammy, that was so beautiful and how perfect that you would receive your first valentine from your father:-) Loved the pictures also!! Happy Valentine's Day dear friend, may your day be full of love:-) Hugs xoxo

Dianne said...

I agree - how precious and how sweet to see that same childlike adoration in your daughter's eyes.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

A beautiful Valentine's Day post. A a wonderful day!

groovyoldlady said...

Oh that last picture is so prescious!

My Dad left when I was eight, but my hubby of almost 25 years has more than made up for any love-lack in te past!

Big Mama said...

I love this! A daddy sets the standard by which all other men are measured. You and your girls are blessed to have one that is setting a high standard.

someone else said...

Stopping by to say Happy Valentine's Day!

Michelle said...

what a sweet post this was! happy valentine's day!

Cheryl said...

Very, very, very wonderful post. Remembering LOVE is very good!

Ms. Kathleen said...

This is just so precious! Print this post off and save it too! It is worth keeping...

Hugs to you and have a wonderful day!

Looney Mom™ said...

Little girls need their daddies more than they (dads) realize! Your girls are blessed. Happy Love Day!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Such a sweet post:) I love the pictures of you and your Dad and then your girls and theirs:)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Lisa said...

Lovely post, Tammy! *Smile*

I didn't/don't have a good relationship with my dad. I am glad that Emily has such a close one with her daddy.

Linda said...

This is such a sweet post Tammy. I'm sorry you don't have your Dad with you any longer, but glad you have those precious memories. Your little ones are blessed. Daddy's are so very special.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!

Susannah said...

Wonderful stories and wonderful Dads. Happy Valentine's Day, Tammy! Jer. 31:3 :~)

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post. I think it is such a blessing that you still have your 1st valentine from your dad!

Kim said...

What a sweet post. My daughters adore their daddy, too. I love that you still have the Valentine your dad gave to you.

Tricia said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing this!