And then to find out that I was nominated for a post for the Hidden Treasures was just an added bonus...I'll be glad to shed my Susan Lucci of blogs crown (as Melanie so hysterically put it) for that honor!
Anyway...this week, as some of you know, I was feeling out of sorts and stressed as of late.
I was also fighting a bit of a bug. You know that kind that doesn't exactly put you on bedrest but makes you drag pitifully through the day?
Just when I was starting to feel a little better on Tuesday, I took Mandy, the wild, adolescent pup, for a walk, late in the afternoon.
(Here she is, chewing on a 2-foot stick we had out as part of the firewood. The picture, taken just two days ago, doesn't do her fast-growing size justice!)

The sun was shining (however, the rays were freezing in the cold air) and even a few pre-spring birds were singing. I left the girls in the house because,
a) I was just walking in our culdesac
and b) whenever I walk the wild pup with them, she tugs unmercifully and tries to jump on them. (My four year old already had gotten a mean scratch on the face once before this way.)
But the mommy in me had my ears perked in overdrive, and when I thought I heard something that sounded like cries (which turned out to be neighborhood kids in the distance) I turned on my heels and started high-tailing it back the 30 feet towards the house to make sure everything was alright.
Apparently, Mandy wasn't quite ready for the turn.
n a blink of an eye, I was helplessly plummeting toward the hard, rough concrete, face first. I instinctively had my arms out, though, so my palms and knees got the brunt of it. Oh...those and Mandy. I heard a yelp, and realized I had also landed partly on her!
She whimpered for a few seconds but then seemed alright. (Good thing one or two of my Christmas pounds have left by now!)
I, on the other hand, sat still on the side of the street, wincing in pain and afraid to get up because my knees hurt so badly. Finally, I slowly stood... and it seemed that nothing was broken.
But did you know you can still be in a lot of pain when nothing is broken? I'm here to say that it's very true!
I hobbled back to the house, Mandy ahead of me and loose on her leash, who kept looking back to make sure I was still coming. I think she was more than glad to get back to the house at this point!
My seven and four year old were blissfully playing, with not a care in the world, as I stumbled in, with bloody knees and hands. But luckily, my seven year old enjoys playing nurse, and helped with the bandaids.
And their tenderness toward me the rest of the day made my eyes swell with tears more than once. When four year old cherub would look at my hands, she would actually start to cry, she was so worried about me! And both girls made me home-made cards as I sat helplessly on the sofa, trying to recover.
(This, from my 7 yr old...click to enlarge and notice those owies on my knees and palms, and my distressed expression!) ;)

But I'm SO thankful that it wasn't more serious, because it certainly could have been!
And I think that not only the Lord protected me from broken bones or sprains, but He showed me some much needed love through my little ones.
In fact, I was overwhelemed with their care and concern, in a week when I felt emotionally drained and tired. It was just what I needed.
Funny, how God can take negative things and turn them into positives for us sometimes, isn't it?
Last night, our whole family enjoyed a quiet evening at home watching a movie...and tonight, I'm driving down to my Mom's to have a mom\daughter sleepover and belated birthday visit. I'm not going to do any laundry, walk any young dogs, or referree any arguments. I'm going to chat with my mom, watch TV with her and read as late as I want in bed. *sigh*
And hopefully, when I return, I'll be a little less stressed and a better wife and mom, to boot!
So, theoretically, I will be going home to my "mommy" and metaphorically get "tucked in" after all. Bless her heart, she may be almost 80, but she'll always be my mama.
So, I'll be catching up with all of my blog friends hopefully this Sunday....yep, while you're all watching the Superbowl! (Sorry, just not a huge football fan, so I think I'd rather take my chips and just hang out with you all at my computer.)
Happy Groundhog Day and have a wonderful weekend full of blessings!








17 comments:
Oh have a wonderful time with your mom. That just sounds like heaven.
Youch! I don't know how kids take all the falls they have so in stride because when I fall it's like pain city!! Mind when I fall there is like 100 times more weight coming down. ;v)
Have a terrific time with your mom. Maybe she can help the boo-boos feel better. Moms are like that.
Have a great time with your mom!
And ouch. I wiped out shortly before CHristmas and badly bruised my knee and it hurt for weeks!
Tammy that sounds like a really painful fall. Glad nothing was broken.
Enjoy your visit with your Mom. I know the two of you will love it. I miss those times with my own Mom so very much..
Hugs!!
oh my goodness, sounds like you had quite the fall! Glad you didn't break anything. How sweet are your daughters to take care of you like that and make you get-well cards! Enjoy the time with your mom tonight!
Oh dear, I'm glad nothing was broken but I know how much it hurts to have scraped knees and hands:-( No matter how old we are, I think we'll always need our mom...have a wonderful time with her! Hugs xox
That does sound like a nasty fall, hope you feel better soon.
Have a great time seeing your mom!
Sounds like a wonderful idea! And my moms just lives down the road aways. She's the one we always go to when we need some recovery time after a medical procedure - it's become kind of a family joke.
I'm with you on the Super Bowl. I can take it or leave it unless the Broncos are in it. Which of course they're not. And haven't been for a long time. And may never be again if we don't get another John Elway in there!
Have a wonderful week-end. I have been injured more times than I can count when I've been out there on my health walk! No dog even. Just clumsiness and ice. Broken arm, cut chin, bumped head. What a klutz!
The picture your sweetie pie drew says it all... Glad nothing was broken! *Hugs-a-bunch*
Enjoy the visit with your mama! :o)
Your girls are so sweet. I hope you get some good rest and relaxation with your mom. It sounds like the perfect way to end a rough week.
Ouch!
I am so glad you are ok. Kids are so sweet and kind when we are sick or hurt. I think that's why crayons were created.
Hope you have a wonderful time with your mama. Ouch...sounds like quite a fall. Your daughters are lovely!
So glad you weren't hurt too terribly bad after your fall! Hope you feel better soon!
Have a great sleepover with your Mom! Wonderful that she is so young at heart! :)
Take me with you! lol.
Glad you were spared any broken bones, and afforded the sweet charity of your darling nurses.
Oh I just got caught up on your last 12 or so posts... have I really been MIA that long? Sorry! I LOVE HS Musical too, Happy Birthday, cute pics, I've NEVER been on skis so you're ahead of me, and OUCH! And trust me I'm feeling your pain and the beauty of family when you're down and out! Enjoy being tucked in. I certainly have over the last week!
I wish my relationship with my Mom was as sweet as yours is with your Mama.
I'm so sorry that you have booboo's. Hope they are healing nicely. I bet the next time anyone falls, you will be the most empathetic.
I missed this one, & It was wonderful having you here. I wish that I could have kept you longer.
As you know I had trouble leaving a comment on your next post but will keep trying. I recently made the switch & they keep rejecting my password. so here goes for annother try
Post a Comment