Monday, February 26, 2007

Thoughts from Beth Moore...and a little basketball



Before I touch a bit on the Beth Moore telecast, I wanted to thank some of you who told me in my last post that my rose bush was probably a Camellia! I had no idea- thank you!

*Edited to add that the poems I quoted in my last post really tell the story this week. Because, in spite of our early blooms, this morning we have snow showers!

And of course, bare with this mama as I show a couple pictures from my four year old's little basketball class. It's for three and four year olds, and she is the one and only girl. Luckily, all of the boys are adorable little three year olds, so it worked out well.


Some days, she actually became so frustrated, however...she couldn't dribble right or make many baskets and a few times she dissolved into a puddle of tears, even though I tried to explain that all she needed to do was try and have fun.
I prayed this last class would be positive for her, and it was!
She just dribbled all over the place, and swished that ball right into the net!
But most of all, she just had a good attitude the entire time! Her teacher (or coach) was amazed!

Lil Cherub peeks behind her basketball for a pose...


And then...she shoots...she SCORES!


(Okay, I clicked too soon, but trust me...when she tossed in that ball, it swished!)

High Fives for everyone!




OK, thank you for indulging me and waiting so patiently. Here goes...

It was an amazing seminar Saturday. To think I was there to be a part of the largest live te
lecast ever... 150,000 of us all sat "together" from all over the country! And 1000 just in our sanctuary.

It was my very first time hearing Beth Moore...in fact, though I know churches all over have been doing her Bible studies, I had not yet been a part of one. So...as Cyndi said in her reply to me, yes, I was in for a bit of a shock! Because every time I saw her picture on a book cover, I imagined her sooooo refined....sooooo soft-spoken. And she's....well...not.

She's funny and loud, with a huge Texas accent. (And don't get me wrong, I sometimes wish I had a southern accent...it's just that I already had some kind of mental image going on here...)

So, you can imagine that my first few minutes were sitting there, trying to get over all this. But nevertheless, God spoke through her and said many, many things to me.

Her theme was based on her book, "Get out of the Pit" ...the same one that
Boomama and Robin from Little Bits of Life are reading in their new Bloggity book club. (I hope to actually read this one now and participate by March 9th if I can get a copy of it by then!)

So many of us have pits. Some of our own choosing and some that sort of chose us. But one thing I took home with me that day is that God loves us more than we can imagine and wants victory for each and every one of us.
Sometimes, we have to start with the simplest of truths before we can move on.
We all know that God loves us as "head knowledge" but I know that I, for one, need to let this knowledge seep way down into my spirit. I'll share this story, which touched my heart...

Her first grandson just turned one last week, and her daughter had told her that on the night of his birthday she just had go into his room on the exact hour that he had been born and hold him. He didn't awake, but she held him and told him how much the past year had meant to her and how much she loved him...all while he slept in her arms.
Then Beth said, (not word for word but almost) "How much more than us human, earthly and evil parents does God love us. When you are tossing and turning, trying to sleep, He longs to hold you, comfort you, and tell you how much He loves you. Not just loves
you...delights in you."

Wow. That is a hard one to completely grasp in my being...He loves each of us individually...delights in us...more than the sweetest parent ever could.

I don't think I have totally absorbed everything from the telecast as of yet...but I wanted to share just this tiny taste of it all.



A wonderful week to each of you!

20 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I so enjoyed the pictures of Lil Cherub playing basketball...she certainly did great:-) I just love watching small ones playing sports like that...my little next door neighbour is 6 and she's been in ringette and soccer since she was 4. I've gone to watch her a few times and it's just adorable:-)

So glad you truly enjoyed Beth Moore's speech...certainly sounds like she gave all of you lots to think about! Isn't it funny how we tend to get an image in our minds about someone and then when we meet them in person it's completely the opposite of what we thought! lol xox

Michelle said...

oh my goodness those basketball pictures are adorable! Glad to hear she is having fun now!

Susie said...

How fun to see your Lil Cherub enjoying a fun sport! We love to watch our grandchildren play!
It's funny how we get a picture in our minds of how someone will sound.
However, I will say that the few bloggers I've spoken to on the phone sounded exactly as I'd pictured them (and they said the same of me)
Glad you enjoyed the speech in any case.
You have snow? We have freezing rain...brrrr!!
((hugs))

Barb said...

What a cute little basketball team, Tammy. And how lucky you are to get to see and hear Beth Moore in person. I'm crossing my fingers she'll make her way to my neck of the woods someday.

Susanne said...

The pictures were great! They look so adorable trying to dribble!

I'd never heard of Beth Moore before starting to blog. I'm going to have to pick up one of her books!

groovyoldlady said...

The world's shortest basketball players were just too cute! My girls have no idea what to do with a basketball. Well, actually, they do. The big blue ball is the Daddy ball and the basketball is the Mommy and all those random smaller balls are the kids.

I am competing for a blogging spot as a "Top Mama" on http://www.topmomma.com/
But shouldn't have even mentioned it until my vewy intewesting photo makes the their home page...I took the button off my blog until then. But once I'm up - look out! I'll be pestering everyone for votes - and I guess I'll have to write sme interesting entries to keep them coming back.

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing your first impression of Beth Moore. :o)

Lil Cherub looks so cute with her b-ball buddies! *Yay*

Anonymous said...

My son is only 18 mo but I am sure he would love those little classes.

Karen said...

Tammy, thank you for your very sweet comments on my site. You've been there, and you KNOW.
Cute, cute pics of your little sweetie!
I would love to attend a Beth Moore event. I have done a couple of her studies, and I enjoy them so much. Hope she comes close to here, sometime.
Blessings,
Karen

Dawn said...

I've seen Beth on t.v., but would love to see one of those big telecasts sometime. I like her style.

Congratulations, Lil Cherub!! That's awesome that she's playing with all boys.

Linda said...

The pictures are adorable Tammy. She'd doing great!!
I wish we had had the simulcast in our area. I would have been there!! I've been fortunate in that our Bible Study has done every one of her studies. I had to smile when you said you thought she was quiet and refined. She isn't - but she is a wonderfully gifted teacher. I just love her. She has a special way of connecting with women and a love for the Lord that is as big as Texas. I'm so glad you were able to hear her.

ruth said...

My little granddaughter looked so cute in those pictures. I actually had never heard of Beth Moore until you mentioned going to the telecast. I'll have to try to read her book sometime.

Kim said...

I love the basketball pictures...to cute. I'll bet you were in shock if you had pictured Beth as soft-spoken. She's a hoot! I love her Bible studies.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I didn't get to hear the telecast, but I have heard her speak before. She is great- very inspiring and uplifting, and very personable.

Love the pics!

Pamela said...

Your daughter, Lil Cherub, is so cute, cute, cute! I think it is wonderful how she stayed with it and succeeded! We love sports and it is so exciting that she got a swish! I used to tell my little ones to envision themselves doing it, and it will happen!

Fabulous! So happy that you were able to go to Beth Moore's seminar! Her Bible study lesson's have taken flight all over the country for sure. I believe it is because she is so uplifting and hopeful. I wouldn't have pictured her having a Southern accent either...funny! :)

Susannah said...

A wonderful taste of inspiring words from Beth Moore. My daughter and I have been trying to get started on her "Daniel" study. We have the books, but we have yet to schedule the time!

BTW, did you know Beth Moore and her daughter have a blog? Here it is!

gail@more than a song said...

Your little one in the basketball pics, so CUTE!

So, so glad you got to hear Beth Moore! She is great...our ladies group has done all her studies with the videos so I've heard her many times and have been to see her in person a few times. Being a southern girl myself, I guess I can't imagine her being anything but that! I finished the Daniel study this fall and it didn't disappoint.

Carolanne said...

Yes, that is definitely a "wow" moment. Beautiful and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The ladies at my church participated in the simulcast. I wasn't able to go and couldn't go to church last week (illness) to hear what people thought.

Our church has done quite a few of her studies and they usually get the videos. I too was surprised at her accent.

Laurie said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time at the Beth Moore seminar. I didn't go, but had a friend that was able to. I do know that her material is always good, but I've never heard her speak.

The basketball pictures are great. You have a star on your hands I'm afraid!