
I don't normally post book reviews (unless of course you count the ones I do for "Fall into Reading"- those wonderful bloggy events that I sometimes start but don't quite finish...) Ahem.
Anyway...I just had to tell you all about a book I just finished reading this very night. (Yes, I just closed it only moments ago!) But I feel like so many of you are real friends that I wanted to share it with you a bit...
It is called Gardenias for Breakfast and I truly enjoyed every page.
It was actually hard to put down...but not in the way of hard suspense, but in the sense that I seemed to befriend the main characters and became so involved that I didn't want to leave them.
This is a book that I may be a little bias about because it happens to be written by one of my favorite authors. I'm speaking of Robin Jones Gunn.
Some of you may know her from the Sisterchicks books, Christy Miller...or my personal favorite, The Glenbrook series.

She also happens to live in my neck of the woods and I have had the privilege of meeting her twice, as well as hearing her speak. Let me just say that she is not only a fabulous speaker from the heart, but she is a friend to everyone she meets.
She writes in a style that is, at times, incredibly deep in it's simplicity. And I always feel just a little closer to God after I've read one of her books.
Gardenias for Breakfast is not a part of a series, but a single story she wrote for The Women of Faith. It is about a woman in her middle years who longs to bring her twelve year old daughter back for a visit to the 92 year old grandmother that had such a positive influence on her. Circumstances present themselves so that this can finally happen, and we follow them on their journey from Maui where they reside, back to her grandmother's place in Louisiana.
Many layers seem to unfold for us as we travel with them...and when they finally arrive, we feel as though we are instantly transported to the small southern town and can almost taste the sweet tea that they share with "Grand Mary," as well as hear their charming southern accents drip from their lips.
If you are looking for a story with huge tragedy, or only crave high suspense or romance (and I love a good romance!) than you might be disappointed. Because although it is really none of the above, it does weave a beautiful tapestry throughout the tale of family love despite failings, and of God's tenderness. And all throughout, it is dotted with both humor and poignant lessons that are learned along the way about the power of generational ties and most of all... forgiveness.
There is so much more that I could say about this book...the way it forced me to re-examine my own still-budding relationship with my little daughters...the way it made me feel grateful to have had such a good relationship with my own mom.
But mainly, I guess I would have to say that by the time I turned the last page, I had not only learned a lot from the characters in the story...but they all had left me with a warm feeling inside...like a sip of hot chocolate.
Pictured (slightly blurry): Myself, Robin and my mom at a tea where Robin spoke in 2004.








21 comments:
I always appreciate a book recommendation from a friend. How fun that you got to meet one of your favorite authors in person!!
Tammy, Your site is looking so nice!!
:)
That sounds like a very nice book. I know what you mean about feeling like you've become friends with the characters. I got so attached to the people in the Mitford Series by Jan Karon, that when I finished the final book, I just felt so sad that there wouldn't be another one to dive into. I felt like I was having to say goodbye to a whole room full of friends.
This sounds right up my alley. I'll have to add it to my list!
I haven't read a book in so many years but from your recommendation, I think I might just look this one up and read it! I love books like that where you can feel a "connection" with the characters. How wonderful that you were even able to meet the author:-) xoxo
I'll have to borrow it now that you have finished it.
You know how I love Robin's books.
I think I have to read this one. As a matter of fact I just got a coupon for B&N that is burning a hole in my purse!!! It sounds like my kind of book.
Thanks so much Tammy!
Thanks for the review, Tammy! I always appreciate a book that keeps me turning pages, and makes me think and contemplate life at the same time.
I'm always looking for a great book to read - thanks for the review!
You have definitely peaked my curiosity. There is nothing better than a slow southern satisfying book about family, life and forgiveness! Thanks so much, I look forward to reading it!
Thanks Ladies...I knew this post might not be overrun with replies since this one book may not be a good fit for everyone. So it was just done as a labor of love for the few of you that might be interested! :)
Oh, and Mom...sorry...it's a church library book so sadly, you can't borrow this one. I would love to own it, though, and if I ever do, you'll be the first on my list!
I enjoyed your review! Make sure you post it over at Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books tomorrow.
Tammy, here's the address for Sherry's (Semicolon) Saturday Review of Books: http://semicolon.reachcoop.org/
"See you" tomorrow!
What a wonderful book review, Tammy. Now this sounds like the sort of book I'd like to read for fun... no high drama or suspense. (Real life has too much of that already!)
How interesting that you've met the author. I assume she's nearby somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. What a privilege!
Have a blessed weekend. :~)
Thanks for the review! *Smile*
Ah...I remember reading The Zion Chronicles (Thoene) and waking up in the middle of the night praying for the characters!
Right now I am SO into the YWAM "Christian Heroes: Then and Now" series. The girls and I just finished the one on Lillian Trasher. I liked it so well that I have also devoured Amy Carmichael and Gladys Aylward. Good stuff and it's all true!
Sounds like a great book! I have never read anything by Robin Gunn so this will be the first. Thanks for the recommendation!
Tammy, this does sound like a great book. I gave the Christy books to my sil when she was about 15, and read them right along with her (and loved them!). I have read one or two of the Sisterchicks books, but I think that I am going to have to buy this one. Thanks for your recommendation.
Tammy, just stopped by to check out your site. Glad I did. I also read and loved "Gardenias for Breakfast". Robin is one of my favorite authors also.
And I can't wait to hear about Beth Moore. I taught her Daniel study last fall and I loved it. Of course, I have loved all the studies she has written. I'll be checking in to hear more from you. Thanks.
Thank you for the review. It does sound like a great book. It doesn't take excitement to make a good book-just good writing. How nice that you have met the author.
I love her too and on the lookout for this book! Thanks for the tip!
I love book reviews and this one sounds good! I'm going to write it down and see if I can find it to read, thanks Tammy!
Post a Comment