I never figured everything out, but did find out that there is shortcut to all those buttons and what-nots...I had been doing it the hard way beforehand. But I still have so much to learn!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tonight, I just wanted to share a true little story about one of my brushes with fame.
Or... a little more accurately, my husband's brush- literally- with fame.
We were having a whirlwind four-day weekend in fabulous New York City. New York City! You see, my husband was in the Navy, and they were having Fleet Week.
Back then, my newlywed husband's ship went out more often than I could count. Sometimes for just a few days...sometimes for weeks...and sometimes for the torturous long ones that lasted for months on end.
This time, however, he would only be gone a week or so, heading up to NYC, and many of the wives would be flying up from Virginia where we were stationed to join them.
My husband had lived in New York City a short time years before, but this was the first time my own Northwest, suburban feet would be touching the sidewalks of New York. And I was all a flutter!

We booked a hotel, and I flew- as planned- to meet him where we began our big attempt to pack in the whole island of Manhattan into four little days. We saw the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the Met, ate at countless diners with New York "atmosphere"...and walked for miles to save money rather than hail too many cabs.
(Although the wild cab ride was a tourist attraction in and of itself!)
We had a romantic dinner in Little Italy, passing through Chinatown on tired feet...
and most memorably... we stood atop the World Trade Center.
That was a moment ingrained in my mind...looking down through the plated glass from so high it seemed as if I were in an airplane.
It was a moment I would relive with different clarity and sadness in the days following 911...to know that my husband and I actually stood at the top once before, just four years earlier....
However, during this whirlwind weekend in 1997, there were no known threats. We did everything we could to pack in as much fun and sightseeing as we possible could without crying "Uncle" to exhaustion.
We were able to buy discount tickets through his ship...and another perk of Navy life was that if hubby was in his sailor uniform, we would sometimes be escorted from the back of the long line to the front! Wow...we felt like royalty whenever this happened, let me tell you!
One of the evenings found us in line for seats at the Lincoln Center for a little dose of culture.
It was The Metropolitan Opera...and this time, we stood patiently within one of many very long lines of other cultured and dignified folk. As I was glancing around (ever so casually, mind you... .not like a tourist- really!) my eye caught someone in line that looked very familiar. Was it...could it be? Yes! It was Felix Unger, himself...Mr. Tony Randall, standing in line just like we were- well, in the line next to us, looking so...well, Tony Randall-ish.
Trying so hard not to be uncouth, I whispered to my husband, excitedly,
"Sweetie, you won't believe it! I see Tony Randall over there!" He starts to look around but I admonish,
"No, no! Don't look obvious! Just glance around casually..."
What would he do without me and my decorum, I just don't know...
He spotted him, and agreed excitedly but quietly that it was, indeed, thee Mr. Randall.
Standing with his very sweet, young wife whom I had seen on interviews...yep, here they were- on the town! Just like us! We had really arrived now!
"Why don't you go over and introduce yourself?" my husband teased. Um...no.
But he persisted..."Go on...just tell him you've watched him on the Odd Couple and in all the old movies..."
"No, I'm not going to bother him on his quiet evening out with his wife," I replied with dignity... as I continuously glanced back at our celebrity over and over again.
The next few minutes that followed are a little blurry in my memory. How we got from that point in the conversation to that which followed is still unclear. But minutes later, my normally reserved husband had walked over past the other line for one reason or another...and then just "happened" to cross back right in front of Mr. Randall...and of course he couldn't just barge right in front of him without sticking his hand out and hurriedly introducing himself to such royalty.
That would have been rude. So he did.
And Tony Randall shook his hand graciously right back...although he did look a little bewildered and somewhat relieved when my husband vanished back to my side as quickly as he had appeared. Poor Mr. Randall never knew what had hit him. Some "shake and run" tourist, no doubt.
I have had a few other brushes with celebrities over the course of my life, but this was one of my most memorable...no, not really because of who the celebrity was.
(Some of you under thirty may be even asking who this Tony Randall person is, anyway...)
But mostly because it was all a part of the whole surreal experience... taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of New York City.
And to think...I watched the Metropolitan Opera with Tony Randall and a sailor on leave...that just happened to be the guy I loved.
Stuff that legends- and memories- are made of!








19 comments:
That's a great memory, Tammy. It sounds like you two had a wonderful time. I've never been to NYC; it's still on my to do list....lol.
Have a great weekend.
I know exactly who Tony Randall is and can appreciate your enthusiasm! I had never been to NYC... After your description I feel that I have! *Grin*
Awww what a wonderful story...I've been collecting celebrity autographed photos since I was 14 years old and have thousands of them now, yes including Tony Randall:-) I'm very much like you, though, if I were to meet a celebrity in person, no way would I have the nerve to go up to them! lol I guess I'll need to do a post about my autograph collection one of these days! lol Hugs xoxo
Tony Randall! I would have been making a complete fool out of myself. I'm amazed at the restraint you exercised, Tammy.
But what really moved me about this trip to NY was that you actually stood at the top of the twin towers. Wow.
I've never been to New York. You describe it so well, that I'm wishing I had. Maybe some day. Sigh...
That's definitely a memory making moment! How exciting! I probably would have been hyperventilating. He was such a good actor and I loved The Odd Couple.
"Shake and run tourist". That is hilarious! What a great memory!
My sister once saw Kurt Russell walk past her on the street when he was filming a movie in our city. Her and her friend argued back and forth whether it really was him or not and ended up following him forever. They never did approach him, though.
Tammy,
What a fun post. I've never been to NYC, but hope to make it there someday. How wonderful you have the memory of being on top of the WTC.
I remember Tony Randall very well. Odd Couple was a show I often watched!
((hugs))
What a fun story Tammy. We used to live close enough to the city to go for the day (by train - the easiest way by far). However, I never saw a celebrity (other than on stage). How exciting!!
I can totally sympathize about the computer problems. I haven't added a thing since Susie designed my blog. I'm too scared!!
I know who Tony Randall is. How fun to see celebrities. I don't know why we have such a hard time thinking of them as "real" people. You should have been the one to shake his hand.
I still haven't been to NYC but I would LOVE to. Maybe some day. It sounds like a great place. What a bittersweet memory of the WTC. At least you got to see it in person.
Was your honey in uniform at the time? If so Tony Randall should have been proud to shake his hand. A wonderful memory of the WT building. Such a sad event. I'm glad you both got a chance to go to the top. As you know your grandmother took my sister & I to NY in the 40s, so it wasn't built then.
All I can say is....SWEET!!!
Hugs!
New York City! Amazing that you spotted Tony Randall in line and good for your hubby to be brave enough to go up and shake hands and then dash! lol What a thrill! Makes for a very memorable experience at the Opera, as you were definitely in good company! :)
Great story! And, yes, I know who Tony Randall is.
Can I say, love your post with hubs? CUTE!
Fun memories! I can identify with you. We met met Kerry Livgren of KANSAS and we were absolutely tongue-tied.
And I can identify with Tony Randall. My husband plays drums and I sing in a large central Maine church of about 1,000 members. (Well, it's large for MAINE; Huge, really!)
Basically, everyone knows who we are and we know about, oh 150 or so of them. Everywhere we go in the area we get people who point and wave and gush and even give us hopeful, shy smiles wanting us to notice them.
It's really ODD! It also makes you think twice before you say or do anything "dumb" in public!
We don't argue and we don't yell at our kids, that's for sure. We don't bawl out store clerks or bank tellers or insurance salespeople, no matter how lousy they've treated us. After all, they may be newbies at the church and we wouldn't want to disillusion them or draw them away from God.
Not that Tony Randall has THAT problem.
Uh-oh...I'm rambling. I do that sometimes, but never in public. Sorry!
What a wonderful time you had. Maybe you can do New York again on your 50th...wouldn't that be great, just don't forget the canes.
That sure is the stuff memories are made of! What a great story!
I've had two encounters. Once when I was in 7th grade at Hanscom and the Patriots were playing the Bears in the Superbowl...one of the linebackers from the Patriots had also been a military brat and attended our middle school - so they brought him in for a little speech and autograph session, Brian Halloway.
The other time was I met Tomma Lasorda. I worked at the Air Force Academy and he was the keynote speaker for a character & leadership symposium; I was a co-escort for him and it was really a neat experience!
never been to NYC but i guess i'll be star strucked when i'm. my brother is and shucks... i wish i am too.
I used to watch the Odd Couple all the time. Tony Randall is a talented man!
Never been to NYC. I will one day. My dd, the one getting married, was there last year on a band trip. She bought an oriental gown in Chinatown and wore it to prom.
Your husband was so smooth. I bet that was a hoot!!
What a fun memory! We actually stood on top of the World Trade Center in 1997 too! And now I'm amazed when I see pictures of it, that we actually stood there and of what happened to it. We were also in NYC about 6 months to the day before 9/11, that still scares me to think about.
I love going to shows there, good place to see famous people too! Fun story.
Post a Comment